The Peganina – 01840 250527 - based in Boscastle offers 2 hour mackerel fishing trips and a longer wreck and reef trip. Can accommodate up to ten people at a time..
Clive Pearson – 01237 431042 - visit Lundy Island, swim with seals, fish for mackerel or just go out for the day. Clive offers charters on Jessica Hettie based in the picturesque village of Clovelly. www.clovellycharters.wordpress.com
Padstow – Emma Kate – 07970595244 – Celtic Warrior – 01841 532639 – both boats offer daily trips from Padstow. Trips include wreck and reef, bottom fishing and family mackerel trips. www.padstowboatrips.com
There are many places where good rock fishing can be found on the North Coast, with an abundance of different species for the keen angler.
- Good marks for ray and turbot are Trenance and Trevose where good quality pollock, mackerel, wrasse, garfish, plaice, dabs and conger can also be found.
- Park Head is well known for a wonderful variety including gurnard, ray, pollock and wrasse.
- Rumps Point to the east of Padstow for gurnard, ray, pollock and wrasse. Daymer Bay and the wave cut platforms at Pentire are both good marks but require caution.
- Godrevy Point offers mackerel, pollock and wrasse, which also abound at Navax Point. Rumps Point at St Agnes for gurnard, ray, plaice and dabs.
It should be noted that in summer the beaches are very popular with bathers and holidaymakers so beach and times should be chosen with some care.
- The Bude breakwater and Crackington Haven are good marks for codling, flat fish, mackerel, whiting and dogfish.
Widemouth Bay also offers good fishing.
Crooklets, Maer and Northcott Mouth are good beaches fished at two hours before low water and on the incoming tide, mostly for skate and flatfish.
- Perranporth offers several miles of good beach for all flatfish as does Holywell Bay and Crantock.
- Watergate Bay is fine for ray, turbot and plaice as is Mawgan Porth and Constantine.
Beware of weed which is sometimes brought onto Portreath and St Agnes. Chapel Porth is good for ray and turbot with other beaches providing plaice, dab and flounder. Perranporth Beach is also popular with holidaymakers so avoid busy times: late evenings and early mornings will give excellent sport.
The North Coast has an abundance of charter boats available, particularly in Padstow, Port Isaac and Newquay.
Tamar Lake Fishing
Brown trout, grayling, and the occasional dace can be taken by fly on the Upper Tamar between Kingford Mill and Bridgerule while the lower Tamar lake offers budget fishing for rainbow and brown trout. A South West Water reservoir, day permits are available from the self-service unit in the Lower Tamar car park. Season is from 1 5th March to 12th October from one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. The Tamar Lakes Water Park has good car parking, picnic area, Peninsula. Gift shop and tea room, children's play area and choice of walks.
Other Lake Fishing
Roadford – Okehampton – 01409 211507
Siblyback – Liskeard – 01579 346522
Colliford – Liskeard – 01409 211507
Latest news from the blog
"Hi Nick - Just wanted to let you know that we had the most fantastic time at Upton House last week. It is truly a beautiful house and all my friends fell in love with it just like I did!! Everyone commented that the beds and quilts were amazing!!! The house was so clean and tidy when we arrived and it certainly had everything that we needed (thanks for the welcome pack, that was great!) It really was an amazing place to celebrate the big 40!! We can't wait to come back ...!!!"